Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Pending Polar Bear Swim or Hypotheria Hijinks?

January 1st is right around the corner and I've been thinking about making last year's "Polar Bear Swim" an annual thing. I don't get too much support from the home team so I'm a bit ambivalent this year. Also, I use the quotes around the title because here in Nashville, TN the chance of swimming with ice on the water is near nil. It's more like a hypothermia test. Last year's water temperature was 42 degrees. The air temp was much higher which made the water seem a lot colder. I had hoped that the air would be colder than the water but alas, no. Meanwhile I'm wondering the best approach for body core comfort - last year I was cold in my core for hours after the swim. Perhaps this year I'll drink a lot of hot beverage before going in? Or after? Or both? I read somewhere that ship wreck survivors pulled from cold water and given hot coffee can die (from the shock?). Can't say such a result will happen with me (see above temps). I just want to be comfy after my foolish endeavor. Got a few holiday invites to attend to. More later ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and can be a great contribution to this blog, but comment spam including those with links to external promotional sites may be deleted.