Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Why the Phelps Phenomenon is Not for Me

If you were a kid watching the Olympics late last summer, I'm guessing you probably got at least a small itch to try swimming as your chosen sport. And it may have even stuck with you through the spring-time. How do I know this? Well the number of kids who have joined the premier swim team (the ones who build the Olympic athletes out of the XBox generation) in my city has grown by 25 percent this summer.

Good for them you say? OK, I'll agree, good for them ... but not for me.

I happen to work out at the same time the team practices - dawn - and the coach, flush with cash from his new arrivals, has bought the rights to an additional lap lane in the pool. Until this year, they had always used half the pool. Cool, right? We get half, they get half. Not any more.

Thanks to the Michael phenomenon, they're taking over our space. This forces us early risers (of which there always have been quite a few), we of all varieties of skill and speed, to move over, smile and pretend we loyal members still count for anything.

Thanks for your time and chance to rant.

1 comment:

  1. Since I'm reading, I may as well comment on this older post, too. It struck a chord because in our pool (municipal), they new director has included various classes during lap swim. We have older people (a lot) including a stroke victim and sometimes (always in the past) myself who swim in the deep end doing short laps. Swimming among the swimmers in the long lanes is especially intimidating for some and impossible for others. I called to discuss this with her and she willingly took my suggestion to create a makeshift area of a short lap space to divide the class from the lappers. It is irritating, though. I know the pool needs to make money and I get it. That's good. But crowding everyone out isn't the answer.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and can be a great contribution to this blog, but comment spam including those with links to external promotional sites may be deleted.